A student arrived early to school one day, and almost no one was there. He walked into his empty classroom and wondered where the teacher was. In his journal was a number written in red, he picked up the phone and dialed it.
(Phone Line) A small child on teacher's line answers- "Hello?";
student: "Is Mrs. Smith home?";
small child: "Yes, but she's in bed.";
student: "Is she sick?";
small child: "No, mommy's spirit is broken."...
The child told the student a story, and when she was done, the student hung up the phone and a storm of tears filled his eyes.
The child entered the classroom shortly after to write the agenda on the board. She saw the student crying and immediately spoke, “I suppose you are the one I spoke too not long ago.” He brushed away tears from each side of his face then replied, “Yes... I am... If you could tell my classmates the story that you told me, I promise that they would better understand the pain our teacher, your mom, feels. I also promise that I will try to help rebuild your mom’s spirit.”
“I’ll tell of her pain, which I can see we both share, if you will get the class's attention and keep the promises you have made.” she said in almost a whisper as a few tardy students entered the class. The student silently replied once more, “I promise.”
The student’s throat felt stiff as he walked in front of the class. His courage rose as he thought of the pain his teacher and her daughter shared and passed on to himself. He rested a chair beside him then kicked it over. To this noise, half the class was startled and silenced in shock. “Mrs. Smith’s daughter has a story to tell, keep quiet and listen, I believe you all will understand.”
The child told her story in a similar way too how she had told the student over the phone, “My mommy isn’t here today, instead she is in her bed at home crying. The pain of her recently broken spirit is the cause of her tears. Mommy has wanted to rest ever since she began teaching, but still, she doesn’t because she believes that you, her students, have a right to learn. You don’t like to try anything new and you say she doesn’t care about you. I know your wrong! If Mommy didn’t care, do you think she would come to class at all? You spit rotten words in her face every day while she tries to teach. Did you ever learn to respect anyone besides yourselves? Mommy’s spirit has been slowly breaking, more and more with each day of class. Now her spirit is shattered, and she couldn’t come to work today. I hope that someday you will all thank my mommy. I know that someday you will all need my mommy. Was respect to much for mommy to ask of you? I hope she will someday gain your respect, only then will her spirit rise.”
The class began making posters, drawing pictures, creating and signing thank you cards... They did everything they could think of to show respect, appreciation, and apologies to their teacher.
The next day as the teacher arrived in the classroom, one hour before class, every single student’s face was shining with joy. They all greeted, with one great cheer, “Good morning Mrs. Smith!” The teacher’s face also shined as she gazed around at all of their creations. One large poem, written in red on the whiteboard, attracted her eye and she read it aloud, ...
“We are all ashamed of what we have made this class,
Who saw not your heart.
We trampled over your respect like grass
And accused you of the crime, in part.
We are ashamed of ourselves and our peers
With our heads bowed in shame.
But as you shed your tears
A small child, who shared and passed your agony, came.
Now how do we apologize?
We have no face to show.
The words “I’m sorry” have lost their meaning
And can’t express what we now know.
Today we need you! We thank you for coming.
As long as our hearts live, we will always be sorry.
God bless your gift of teaching!
Please accept our apology.”
The teacher broke out in tears once more, but this time for joy and dead sorrow. She crossed the room to her desk, opened a book, and said in relief, “You're welcome. Now let's continue on page 72.” To her surprise, every student opened their book and began to read.
No comments:
Post a Comment