I musta been darn right stupid when I was little. Though, I may still be now.
At least now I realize the stupid things I have done. I learned the word as "together", but my teacher had to go and confuse the heck outta me. She thought it was "helpful" to teach us that the word is made up of three words: To Get Her. She figured it would help us with spelling and such. But I thought I was wrong the whole time (since the teacher is always right). And that the word was "To Get Her".
Just sit back a minute. Maybe use google to spark your imagination. And think of things you could read or hear another person say using the word, "together". Now replace it with "to get her". And you may just see how confused I was as I child.
" Hey Bre-Bre, you wanna go to the park TO GET HER?!"
"Let's gather TO GET HER!"
"We're all going TO GET HER!"
You may see how this word could really change the mood of a sentence.... and scare me when people used it. It made me think people were planning to attack me or something. And in class people just laughed when I read aloud... the teacher thought I was trying to be funny in class.
I always try to read with emphasis... So, I did when I saw the scary ending. Reading a story about a little boy that used to fight with this girl and they made up and became friends again. At the end of the story, the last words are "together again". How sweet, they're together again. But, of course, I read it as, "Then they went TO GET HER AGAIN!!" And the teacher did not find it too funny. But I couldn't help it, I was a confused little child.
At least now I realize the stupid things I have done. I learned the word as "together", but my teacher had to go and confuse the heck outta me. She thought it was "helpful" to teach us that the word is made up of three words: To Get Her. She figured it would help us with spelling and such. But I thought I was wrong the whole time (since the teacher is always right). And that the word was "To Get Her".
Just sit back a minute. Maybe use google to spark your imagination. And think of things you could read or hear another person say using the word, "together". Now replace it with "to get her". And you may just see how confused I was as I child.
" Hey Bre-Bre, you wanna go to the park TO GET HER?!"
"Let's gather TO GET HER!"
"We're all going TO GET HER!"
You may see how this word could really change the mood of a sentence.... and scare me when people used it. It made me think people were planning to attack me or something. And in class people just laughed when I read aloud... the teacher thought I was trying to be funny in class.
I always try to read with emphasis... So, I did when I saw the scary ending. Reading a story about a little boy that used to fight with this girl and they made up and became friends again. At the end of the story, the last words are "together again". How sweet, they're together again. But, of course, I read it as, "Then they went TO GET HER AGAIN!!" And the teacher did not find it too funny. But I couldn't help it, I was a confused little child.
No comments:
Post a Comment